Friday, August 14, 2009

The Mushroom Chair!

The famous (among my cousins and siblings on my mom's side) mushroom chair! For as long as I can remember this chair was in my Great Aunt Joan's house. (it unfortunately matched the shag carpet in the living room) but was kept mostly in the den. Joan passed away recently and things got divided up among the family. The one thing I really wanted was the mushroom chair :) I found out that it was actually my mom's when she was a teenager. Yes, her room was green and orange (very popular in the 70s she assures me). As much as we all love the green mushroom chair it doesn't quite fit in my brown and pink theme room so my mom and I went to work today recovering it (we also had to do it because the foam was disintegrating :p) Here are the results...



First we took apart the chair (fabric and foam):





It left residue all over the place!









Then we cleaned it and restuffed and recovered it!







Boston was curious and wanted to help :)






And voila!
















But don't worry! A little bit of the loveable green fuzz is still there it was stuck so some nails we reused to secure the top to the base :) A little hard to see in this pic but it's there!

3 comments:

Holly said...

Very cute. I approve, it needed a makeover if it was falling apart and that will look good in your room!

Grant and Taryn Layton said...

I'm jealous, I want it now :) haha. Good work, I love the fabric and it will be a fun little chair to have in your new apt.

Dan and Sarah said...

Wow, I forgot all about that thing. I figured it just grew legs and walked out. It looks really good!