Sunday, November 7, 2010

2:13:48

My first half-marathon time!!! This weekend I ran my first half-marathon. I ran in the Indianapolis Monumental half-marathon with Taryn. At the end of summer, for some reason I got the urge to start running and decided I wanted to try and train for a half. (The influence of my awesome roommate over the summer miss Hilary Collins for sure). So I talked to T to ask her for some tips since she has run some before. She told me I should go do one with her Nov 6 in Indianapolis. I said OK! So I started training and a couple months later it was time:)
I left Provo on Thursday afternoon and flew to Lexington to stay with Taryn and Grant for the weekend. I got in pretty late on Thursday night so we stayed up and chatted a bit then headed to bed. Then Friday we slept in a little then Taryn and I had the day to hangout. It was great to get to spend some time with her:) We did some shopping (went to goodwill and got jackets for cheap we were willing to part with on the run) and hungout. Then we went to dinner at Saul Good. It was a way cute restaurant and the food was all good. We has some yummy pizza, salad, and nachos. Then we needed to get to bed early cause we had a race the next day! So we watched a little TV and got to bed.





RACE DAY! We left Taryn and Grants at 3am. Taryn and I went to sleeping in the car while Grant was awesome and drove us over to Indianapolis. We got there and got our packets and made sure we were all ready for our run. Then at 8am we were off! The run was through the streets of downtown Indianapolis. It was a cool run I liked it. We saw Grant between mile 2 and 3 and so we were able to throw our throwaway jackets to him. Taryn and I ran together and it went really well. We went pretty steady and strong. I'm happy I did it with her because she helped me keep pace. I think I did really well and I was feeling pretty good for a lot of it. But by like mile 10 I was pretty much ready for it to be over and I was starting to hurt. But I accomplished my goal and I did the whole thing running! And I did really well and did it in 2:13:48 I was for sure happy with that. I told Taryn to go ahead during the last mile and she got a personal best for herself! So we both did awesome and it was a great experience.


When I ran it in, I ran it too hard for too long at the end. I started full out sprinting way before I should have, but it's all good. So right when I finished I was pretty nauseous and light headed. But I took a minute to recuperate and was better. The medical people made me get checked because I bent down by the puke buckets:p I didn't throw up but I was a little woosy so they checked me out. I was ok with it because the med boy was a cutie;)



I'm so happy I did it. It is a goal that in the past I never thought I would accomplish so I feel really good about doing it. Thanks to everyone who supported me and helped me along the way. Thanks Hilary for being amazing and an inspiration, thank you Katrina for helping me during training, and also Holly&Jonny, and thank you Mom and Dad for helping make it possible for me to get to Kentucky, and thank you so much Taryn and Grant for the great weekend, Taryn thanks so much for running it with me and encouraging me and Grant thanks for cheering us on and getting us there!
I DID IT! :)

3 comments:

Hilary Collins said...

Karleigh you are so sweet!!! I feel so honored you give some credit to me, really it was ALL you! You were the one who did all the hard work and training for it. I couldn't be more proud of you. I cannot wait to hear how more halfs go for you, and if someday you even decide to take on a FULL! You are amazing :-) awesome job girl

Grant and Taryn Layton said...

So so proud of you :) You did great and I couldn't have asked for a better run with you. Thanks for making it happen! Can't wait to do it again.

Greg and Betsy Rose said...

Congratulations KK! I am glad you had the opportunity to run and were happy with the results. It looks like you did awesome. Glad you persevered and accomplished a hard goal.